ACHIEVING HIGH-PERFORMANCE MULTI-UNIT RESIDENTIAL
BUILDINGS: THE OPPORTUNITIES
A series of infographics will highlight the opportunities in achieving high performance
in multi-unit residential buildings (MURBs) under key performance categories.
Source: CHMC / SCHL
*Energy efficiency is the goal to reduce the amount of energy required to provide products and services.
*A deep energy retrofit is a whole-building analysis and construction process that uses to achieve much larger energy savings than conventional energy retrofits. Deep energy retrofits can be applied to both residential and non-residential (“commercial”) buildings. A deep energy retrofit typically results in energy savings of 30 percent or more, perhaps spread over several years, and may significantly improve the building value.
If we take a closer look to what energy efficiency is all about, you will find that it is easier to achieve than you think.
Before hiring a Building commissioning agent, there is a list of things you should check in your building, let’s find out which one:
- Have you implemented a business policy to turn off the lights when the building is comfortable with daylight or when nobody is occupying the space?
- Or a company policy to turn off the computers, printers, fax machine, AC or heaters when not needed?
- Have you changed all the lightning bulbs for more efficient ones? ( Led or fluocompact) Look for energy Star logo or Eco Logo products and lighting fixtures. Solar tubes can add extra lightning during the day and are zero energy-consuming. Installation can be done through walls and ceilings.
- Are the appliances, plumbing fixtures and machineries in your building high-efficient ? water-heating appliances, WC with low water consumption rates, etc.
- Have you had the HVAC system inspected and cleaned lately? Are the filters clean and efficient?
- Are the windows and doors sealant seems old and cracked?
- Can windows or doors be manually opened to bring some fresh air into the building/work area instead of starting the central ventilation system?
- During winter, is the heating system running too much getting the occupants too hot? Not enough hot? Implementing a survey can help you find out just how much degrees you can tune down the heating system or during summer the AC. (online survey forms from GOOGLE will do the job just fine)
Lire la suite